Mum ! I miss you very much

Mum ! I miss you very much
...you left without saying goodbye...

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Does your dad behaves this way ?

I never had a good relationship with my dad all these years..and I never really understood him on a personal level..or should i say I never wanted to really understand him... Right after mum passed on, he shifted in to stay with me because we sold our old place..Living with him for the past 2 years was really an "eye opener" for me. I dont mean to bring down my own father but it's shocking to know that he doesnt know the very basic of boiling water, washing clothes, even switching on the television. Mum, you really really really took so good care of him. Every weekend I had to control my temper because I will see the same old things that he does over and over again. Today..oooh..he did it again..as a healthy retiree who refuses to work, he goes out everyday and he literally has to wash his clothes 3 times a week !! Shocking ? Let me break it down for you why he wears 35 pieces of clothes a week.
Daily
Shirt and Pants -
Briefs -
Extra Shirt that he uses it as a mat to sleep on at night. ( even when there's a blanket available )
Night Pant
That's 35 pieces of clothings a week !! and you know what ? he uses the soiled clothes as a daily floor mat and dump it into a plastic bag instead of a net bag that I bought for him. Imagine the wet and soiled clothes being kept in the bag for 2 days before being brought out to wash..Gosh !! his whole room stinks like hell and every weekend, I had to light up my belair oil to remove the smell from his whole room.
Every night when I am home, he is hiding in his room, every morning before i go to work, he is out of the house. We dont see each other now, neither do we talk. Its better this way if not I will quarrel with him again...
He squandered 10K plus of mum's money few months after mum passed on
His monthly expenses is $600 ( his own money )
He refuses to work
It's just overwhelming to list down the things that he doesnt know how to operate...I am just too tired to write about it.
Am I unfilial ? I dunno but to write it here is just an outlet to vent my frustration.

3 comments:

Queen said...

Mel.. part and parcel of life.. not everyone have the best family.. we'll just have to make do with their "uniqueness"...

There is always a "stranger" in the family..

Melvin Tan said...

I am just at a loss of words ! Thanks for dropping by..It helps a lot just sharing my thoughts :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Melvin, I know it's difficult for you - my dad is wired differently too.Now that he is showing signs of senility that I realised I don't have all the time in the world to be angry with him anymore.

No matter what,he is your dad. There will come a day when he expires his time on earth,and when that happens, will you regret that you didn't speak to him/know him better? Too often, we only regret after someone has passed on.

Perhaps you can try to sit down and have a chat with him. He might not open up overnight,and he is probably just as confused and irritated as you are.